Recently, I’ve been working on a new book layout. This one is mainly photographic.
I’d like to share some steps I took to simplify my design process.
Book Structure Process:
• Set the size of the book, and check it with the printing press
• Open InDesign file and set bleed & margins
• Make grid templates on master pages with guides
• Select fonts for titles and paragraphs and convert them to paragraph styles
• Open images in Adobe Bridge and check resolution
• Make an InDesign contact sheet
• Cut images from contact sheet and place them in the main InDesign file*
• Delete the black frame from images and arrange them on the pages
• Divide the no. of pages by no. of chapters = pages per chapter
• Fit image contents proportionally
• Redistribute spreads taking into consideration landscape/portrait
• After the structure is formed, work more the design
*instead of placing each image by itself and skipping any by mistake.
PS. If anyone thinks there is a better way in one or more of the steps, comments are welcome.